• Remember, grains are more work for a horse's digestion, which takes energy. This is how a horse heats himself in the winter - with energy - so slow down on concentrates, as good hay and fibre foods with fresh water are the basics and help keep your horse stay warm in winter.
• Most will need a routine check up with your vet or equine dentist to insure of no sharp edges and other issues that could cause your horse's health to suffer this winter. Horses can develop very sharp edges and can cut and or ulcer his own cheeks or tongue and cause eating dysfunctions. These sharp edges are also very hard on slow feeding nets.
Feeding Hint for Slow Feeding Nets
We have many customers that do not use the hay nets or round bale feeders all summer and now start to load them up to use.
REMEMBER: You must feed loose hay for at least a week, especially in the colder climates, even if your horse has used this system last year, or even last month.
WHY? Horses, like us, enjoy a change in feed and are ready for their hay change over, and can sometimes want more than a graze from the first hay of the season. So use some loose hay and you will have much success in slow feeding.
• If possible, feed round bales on top of some straw, hay or shavings as this will insulate your bags from freezing.
• If your bales are stored outside and have hard frozen edges, you must roll this off the bale, as the horses will have a very difficult time getting the hay out of the net, which can cause damage to the nets, in frustration and hunger.
• Never let the N.A.G. Bags round bales become totally empty, flick out the remainder and then refill the round bale nets - this will help with nets not freezing to the ground.
• If the ropes are becoming hard to untie and are freezing, try to dry them out - if the moisture is out of them they will not freeze. Also, you can flip the bales over so that the ropes are under the hay - this also helps to keep them insulated, and you can even place a bag over the rope end.
• For the smaller hanging nets and day bag users, you may now choose to add the clip or ring to the bag top - this helps with fast and easy up and down without trying to untie a knot that has been pulled tight and/or frozen.